Sunday, October 9, 2011

Adventure in Prayer: The Colonoscopy

Hoping I could get out of a colonoscopy the next day, I called my gastroenterologist.  I told him I had just been wacked in the head with a speaker.  Going forward with the procedure didn’t seem like a good idea.  But he wasn’t concerned when I told him I wasn’t dizzy, didn’t need stiches and had no evidence of a concussion. 
It still didn’t seem like a good idea the next day.  As they wheeled me to the procedure room.  I was exhausted and I was sure my body was only going to feel worse afterwards. 
When I got to the room, I was assaulted by brash hip-hop music blaring from a boom box.  That did it.  Angry thoughts swirled in my head like hornets around a poked nest.   How thoughtless can you get?  Patients are stressed – even if they hadn’t been knocked in the head the day before.  I need to be soothed with classical music, Christian, new age or soft rock.  Elevator music would have been better than THIS!  How could the doctor let the tech play this crap?  And where WAS the doctor?  How much longer was I going to have to wait?
I soon realized that being steamed like this was only going to make the ordeal worse.  At this point, I started to pray.  “Lord, I don’t want to be like this,” I said.  ”I don’t want to hate this woman and her boom box . . . Please help me.  I don’t want to be like this . . .”  Over and over again, these words swirled like the angry thoughts I wanted them to replace. 
“Wait a minute,” I finally said to myself.  “God isn’t deaf. He knows what’s needed.”
There was nothing more I could do.  It was up to God.  I had placed myself in His hands.  I went quiet and then found myself listening to the lyrics of the hip-hop song.   I laughed at what I heard.   The singer was singing:  “Let’s Get It Started!  Let’s Get It Started!”
I turned my head and looked at the tech.  “Do you hear what he’s singing?” 
“Yes,” she laughed, “I was just thinking about the words . . . Let’s Get It Started.”  
Before I knew it, we were chatting and laughing about all sorts of things -- the doctor, weather, Wall Street . . . I can’t remember what all.  When the doctor finally came, I was in the peaceful place I had longed for and I had affirmed a woman I had minutes earlier scorned.

As for the results, I'm good until the next time and very thankful -- not only for my health but the beautiful lesson I learned:   If you ask, look and listen, you may hear the Music and see the Light of Love.  It is everywhere -- even in music you can’t stand and places you can’t imagine the Light will shine.

** I see a lot of you who come here are searching for a prayer as you face a colonoscopy.  So please know that, as I type each letter here, I pray God's comfort will wrap around you like a warm blanket and the hands of the doctors and nurses who will care for you will be guided by His Loving and Healing hands. And I pray you will be blessed in some way as I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment